You are 12 weeks pregnant. (fetal age 10 weeks)
- The fetus is now about 2.5 inches (6cm) length and weighs about 0.7 ounce (20 g).
- The feet are almost half an inch (1cm) long.
- The fetus starts moving spontaneously.
- The face is beginning to look like a baby’s face.
- The pancreas is functioning and producing insulin.
- Fingernails and toenails appear.
- The baby can suck his thumb, and get hiccups.
Your baby now has a chin and a nose and a facial profile. Vocal chords are complete, and the baby can and does sometimes cry silently. The brain is fully formed, and the baby can also feel pain. The fetus may even suck his thumb.
The eyelids now cover the eyes, and will remain shut until the seventh month to protect the delicate optical nerve fibers. The hair is on the head and the fingers and toes have developed soft nails. The kidneys are developed and begin to secrete urine.
Most NT ultrasound scans reveal a healthy and normal baby, or sometimes multiples. A standard prenatal ultrasound exam usually takes about 20 – 30 minutes.
Your baby weighs between 0.5 and 0.7 ounce (14 to 20g), and crown-to-rump length is almost 2.5 inches (63mm). Your baby’s size has almost doubled in the past 3 weeks.